The Queensland Bookmaker’s Club Inc., was established in 1941 and was originally formed as an offshoot of the Queensland Turf Club’s St Leger and Flat Bookmakers’ Association. It was originally located at 360 Queen Street in Brisbane, but in 1954 the Club moved to new premises at the current address in Wharf Street.
Our club constitution
Queensland Bookmakers Club – Rules
CHARACTER AND COLOUR SHAPED THE BOOKMAKERS’ CLUB
The Queensland Bookmaker’s Club Inc, as born of a special need. There were some bookmakers and other racing adherents who, due to the politics of the time, could not join the prestigious Brisbane Tattersall’s Club. So in 1941 a series of meetings were held that resulted in positive action.
A rented area of the top floor of a building in Brisbane city’s Queen Street became the first meeting place for the rebel bookies, and the Queensland Bookmakers Club was on it’s way.
Later chronicles record that the war years helped rather than hindered, the new club which soon found itself on a very sound financial footing. So sound, in fact, that several thousand pounds were loaned to the Government for the duration of the war.
In 1946 the Club bought the premises it has been renting in Queen Street for 11,300 pounds, a massive amount of money in those days.
According to the chronicles everything went well for a couple of years but then there were factions within the membership and management.
The club barely avoided dissolution, but struggled on under severe budget cuts. In 1954 its new president, Ces Stevens realised that to survive the club would have to gain a liquor license. For that, better premises were needed and Mr Stevens mortgaged his own home to buy the building at the club’s current Wharf Street address. For some years the building was known as Stevens House in recognition of the sacrifice made by Ces Stevens.
The man destined to become the club’s manager, not once but twice, Sydney born Fred Casey, discovered early in life that he had a useful pair of dukes, and received the nickname, or rather accolade, of Fearless Fred. The promising boxer came to Brisbane in 1963 to trial for the Tokyo Olympics the following year. He made the cut. Back in Brisbane after the Tokyo Olympics, his profile and energy earned him a job at the Bookmakers’ Club. Fred has many “tales” to tell regarding the Bookies Club’s colourful history and patrons.
In 2008 the Wharf Street location was sold and Galloper’s became the Bookie’s Club new official clubhouse in 2012. With its recent renovations, the Bookies Club were given naming rights to the bar. The Bookies’ Bar is the main bar within the club and it can’t be missed!
Also in 2012, the Bookies Club cemented its relationship with the BRC by securing a limited number of perpetual lifetime memberships for its current members. Given the upcoming redevelopment of the Eagle Farm and Doomben precinct, the future is looking very exciting for our members!
The goals of the Bookies Club is to provide support, services and/or equipment to participants in, and stakeholders of, the racing industry, including but not limited to:
ii) jockeys and apprentice jockeys;
iii) trainers or breeders of racing animals;
iv) bodies and organisations involved in the racing industry;
v) racing supporters and enthusiasts;
We may also provide social, sporting, athletic and other advantages to its members; provide donations, grants, sponsorships and other assistance for charitable, benevolent, sporting, recreational, compassionate or patriotic bodies, causes and efforts.